Is ß still used in German?

Profile photo for Angelika Davey
Angelika Davey
German tutor & translator, native German speaker living in the UK
2,920 followers
189 following

My German teacher told me they no longer use it, and have 'ss' instead, so I wanted to confirm the validity of that statement.

You’ve already received lots of correct and good explanatory answers, so I just want to vent my anger. Not at you but your teacher!

I cannot believe that after over 20 years some non native German teachers still think that the ß has disappeared. Where have they been all this time?
I have lost count about the amount of times I had to explain it to people that the rules have changed but the letter is still there. I can understand the confusion in 1995 when it might not have been too clear what exactly changed. But not 23 years later.

Any German teacher who still says that the ß has gone clearly has not had a proper look inside a textbook lately or any German books, magazines, newspapers or websites. Shame on them!

Rant over, thanks for listening ☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Except for Filipinos, Mariah Carey tells other fans excited to sing All I Want For Christmas Is You: 'Not yet!'

BINI recognized by Grammy website as one of 12 rising girl groups

4th Impact pursues Grammy goal amid online hate

The 34 Very Best German Sayings…EVER! (VI): Die Nase (gestrichen) voll haben

19 Miss Grand PH candidates to compete for crown on Sept. 29