You plan to move to the Philippines? Wollen Sie auf den Philippinen leben?

There are REALLY TONS of websites telling us how, why, maybe why not and when you'll be able to move to the Philippines. I only love to tell and explain some things "between the lines". Enjoy reading, be informed, have fun and be entertained too!

Ja, es gibt tonnenweise Webseiten, die Ihnen sagen wie, warum, vielleicht warum nicht und wann Sie am besten auf die Philippinen auswandern könnten. Ich möchte Ihnen in Zukunft "zwischen den Zeilen" einige zusätzlichen Dinge berichten und erzählen. Viel Spass beim Lesen und Gute Unterhaltung!


Visitors of germanexpatinthephilippines/Besucher dieser Webseite.Ich liebe meine Flaggensammlung!

free counters

Google

Saturday, January 30, 2021

WITH BEETHOVEN UNDER PALMS (II)


 

Chapter 2: Michiko and "Lola"


The doors of our plane opened. My buddy and I were at the very beginning, as we had always booked rows 1 A to B. The Filipino stewardess whispered: "A wonderful stay in the Philippines!" She did this with a smile that almost killed me. I would remember that smile for years. And yes, this smile and this memory would one day for my decision to immigrate to the Philippines forever. 1982 - but before that, a great deal would happen in the whole world for me.

As I said: the doors of our plane opened. While we walked down the aisle we realized what to expect. Highly armed soldiers stood meter by meter and accompanied us to the bus that was supposed to take us to an equally highly guarded hotel in Malate, Manila. Material law prevailed in the Philippines in 1976. Our stay in the office ended with a guarded breakfast and an equally guarded transfer to the airport for our flight to Tokyo.

But I just couldn't forget that Filipino smile... .

During that time, my grandmother resided in the Eastern Germany, the so-called Democratic Republic of Germany, although one might wonder where the democratic element would be here. I am not a fan of political conflicts. One will look for it here in this biography in vain.



I loved my grandmother like no one else in the world. Well, my wife is a very big exception! "Lola", born in 1899 (!) lived and survived  World War I and II. Since moving to West Berlin in 1974, I've had the opportunity to visit her much more often. Lola asked me: "Where exactly is Japan?" I asked her about her old school atlas, which she found in one of her closets after a long time. Lola was shocked when I showed her Japan.  I calmed her down.



About after five minutes she came back and gave me something.  It was a rosary. It's still with me up to now. "This is supposed to protect you on this big journey, and I know it would be your last big journey!" she said. 
Many trips followed, including to North Africa, Russia, and Jamaica. But more on that later. Our flight to Tokyo with Philippine Airlines was ready for boarding. And again, I captured the smile of the Philippine stewardess ... .

There are now three months family home stay ahead me. It has been organized by the International YMCA. I would stay in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka as well as Hiroshima. The latter with very impressive feelings. And there was something more impressive. I should meet Michiko in Osaka.


(To be continued!)

No comments: