Our standards, in general, is very low compare to women from neigboring countries like Japan, China, SK, India where they prefer economic stability. I mean, who isn't? It's just we don't require the millionaire status. Especially now that online dating and interracial marriages are common. The Philippines is still on that colonization hangover, the ‘white’ thing, you know, plays a part. One of the reason, of course, is our lifestyle standard which is lower than those from higher income countries.
Look at this one, a screenshot image I got from FB. Warning though, I am aware that the message is somewhat offensive to my fellow Filipinas and degrading to some Filipino men.
Please don't be misleaded by the caption, a sizable number of Filipinas still prefer Filipino men, specially those from affluent families. And if ever there are women out there who prefer foreign men, it's a matter of personal preference influenced by the notion that these men are “better” looking than local men. Again, this is not a generalization but at some point it is true. Filipino men, on the other hand, have this higher standard when choosing a potential partner due to patriarchal reasons, a traditional rigid standard I should say, where they stick to that legacy of the Maria Clara ideal of a potential wife. (Virgin, modest, submissive). This clearly create an imbalance especially when Filipino women adapt to the modern society.
I also agree to Ronna Lou's answer, particularly the part where she says “ They start dating the local “tambay” or jobless bum who hangs around the neighborhood because he is flirty and makes all these promises about becoming rich someday”. That reason further explain why Filipinas shifts their preferences towards foreign men.
No comments:
Post a Comment