Shaking my head

“SHAKING my head,” commonly abbreviated as SMH, is a popular expression in online chats and internet slang. It is often used to convey disappointment, disbelief, disgust, or other similar negative emotions.
To shake your head means moving it from side to side to signal “no,” express disagreement, or convey sadness, frustration, or disbelief. Sometimes, a simple shake of the head says more than words ever could.
There are moments in life when crying or asking endless questions serves no purpose. Instead, we simply feel paralyzed. A good friend told me exactly that a few days ago. Words sometimes seem inadequate, yet as a writer, I always believe there are words capable of capturing even the most difficult emotions.
After long conversations with friends and colleagues, I have come to one conclusion: sometimes, all you can do is shake your head.
Just look around. Endless follow-ups seem to have become part of our national character. Every day, we encounter people whose indifference leaves us frustrated and discouraged. Sadly, indifference appears to have become one of the defining traits of today’s society.
We try to schedule an appointment, but the other party always seems to be “busy” every single day of the week. Naturally, we don’t want to intrude on anyone’s time, so we tell ourselves, “Maybe tomorrow.”
But how do you feel when you encounter employees or offices that are supposed to serve the public yet seem more interested in reading magazines, making personal phone calls, sending endless text messages, or even becoming downright rude after countless follow-ups? Then comes the familiar excuse: “The boss is out of town.” Grabe!
Yes, today’s column may not sit well with some readers, but honestly, what is the difference between someone who is genuinely busy, someone working hard to earn a living, and someone who is simply indifferent — or just not in the mood to deal with people?
I can say this without hesitation: many people feel powerless when they repeatedly encounter indifference, arrogance, and ignorance. These attitudes slowly drain enthusiasm, discourage initiative, and make even the simplest tasks unnecessarily exhausting.
When you promise to help or support someone, keep your word. Don’t hide behind endless excuses or delaying tactics. A “yes” should mean yes, and a “no” should mean no. If you cannot fulfill a promise, be honest about it. A straightforward answer is always more respectful than endless uncertainty.
Personally, I dislike making people wait — whether for a reply or for an appointment. I make every effort to respond promptly and follow through on my commitments. If I learn that someone tried to reach me but missed me, I do my best to return the call or reconnect. What’s so difficult about that? I simply dislike being late — or worse, remaining silent.
How many brilliant ideas, promising partnerships, and valuable business opportunities have been lost simply because of misunderstanding, indifference, or a lack of appreciation between people? Think about it. Can you see the pattern?
Yes, I, too, feel disappointed whenever I witness opportunities slipping away. We all know that nothing worthwhile comes without effort. But before we can expect progress, we must first learn to keep our promises, help one another, practice honesty, and become responsible contributors to our nation’s stability, unity, and development.
***
Email: doringklaus@gmail.com or follow me on Facebook, LinkedIn, or X (formerly Twitter). Visit: www.germanexpatinthephilippines.blogspot.com www.klausdoringsclassicalmusic.blogspot.com/PN
No comments:
Post a Comment