You plan to move to the Philippines? Wollen Sie auf den Philippinen leben?

There are REALLY TONS of websites telling us how, why, maybe why not and when you'll be able to move to the Philippines. I only love to tell and explain some things "between the lines". Enjoy reading, be informed, have fun and be entertained too!

Ja, es gibt tonnenweise Webseiten, die Ihnen sagen wie, warum, vielleicht warum nicht und wann Sie am besten auf die Philippinen auswandern könnten. Ich möchte Ihnen in Zukunft "zwischen den Zeilen" einige zusätzlichen Dinge berichten und erzählen. Viel Spass beim Lesen und Gute Unterhaltung!


Visitors of germanexpatinthephilippines/Besucher dieser Webseite.Ich liebe meine Flaggensammlung!

free counters

Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 17, 2026

What do foreign men often misunderstand about dating a Filipina?

 

 

(Yes, that’s a photo of me. I believe it’s a good proof that I’m a Filipina with the right to talk about these things.)

Ok so before I answer, I will say that most of these misunderstandings are not because I think foreign men think badly of Filipinos or women in the Philippines. I don’t. I’m married to an American man, of course I don’t think that. But sadly, because of negative stereotypes, there are always gonna be things that foreigners will assume about Filipinos, so it’s the same when a foreign man starts dating a Filipina.

One very common misunderstanding is how poor and uneducated Filipinos are. Because this means that if a foreign man is dating a Filipina, the woman can’t really communicate with him and only wants him for money.

I am actually very tired of this stereotype.

No, dating Filipinas doesn’t always mean she’s illiterate or a gold digger. In the Philippines, we take education very seriously. Yes, many of us experience poverty, but we work hard to have good lives without chasing foreigners for their money. And we speak good English. Even Filipinos who struggle financially can communicate with foreigners just fine.

Another misunderstanding is how Filipinas are always nagging and jealous. Again, this isn’t true. Many Filipinas are shy and quiet. A Filipina dating a foreign man won’t be picking fights with other women or pestering him about little things. We know how common decency works, okay?

Sometimes, the misunderstanding is opposite. Some foreign men believe that Filipinas are traditional and very conservative, the kind of woman who is always wearing long skirts and hiding her face with a handkerchief.

But many Filipinas are pretty modern, with modern views and practices. We’re not socially isolated or clueless about how other countries work. In fact, since we’re always on social media, many of us even have a “Westernized” sense of humor.

What’s traditional about us is more on our values and priorities. We’re still religious and family-centric. We still want to take care of our loved ones.

There’s really no problem connecting with us or getting to know us when you’re a foreigner dating a Filipina. Just please don’t believe every bad thing you hear and keep an open mind always so there are no misunderstandings.

Thank you!

No comments: