By: Klaus Doring
Feeling confused about your career is very common. It usually happens when your internal values, skills, and goals do not match your current reality or the options in front of you.
You may experience doubts as soon as you start your studies simply because you do not know enough about the many career paths that are available to you …
Realize that doubt is a normal part of the achievement process. Doubt happens to all of us. Sometimes, you’ll set big career goals and then actively prevent yourself from achieving them. You may even get close to achieving these big goals, but then, right before you do, you’ll blow everything up.
Start conducting exploratory interviews. Attend industry conferences, and network with key organizers, asking one or two for their time to learn more about their own personal career path. Find a mentor from whom you can get direction, who can assess your strengths and interests and help you brainstorm new career paths.
Career is a rapid motion. A course of action. Sure! A professional conduct in life. Even a progress through life. Here we are! That means, a careerist is one, who rushes widely and makes his own personal advancement as well as his (or her) own aim in life!
What can we do, if “career doubts” won’t go away? First allow me to quote my bible, especially Jude (Watching out! Sounding an alarm!), who writes in the style of a teacher who is watching a freight train bear down on his student’s driver. Yes, bells ring out: “Be merciful to those who doubt.” (Jude :22).
My parents always wanted me to become a banker. So far so good. Why not? Maybe I would have been much happier in my job during those times. Maybe not? I wanted to be a journalist already at the age of 6… . Believe it or not.
The pressure “to be” (or later NOT TO BE – thank you Mr. Shakespeare!), started early in my life. Not only my parents, also my peers and teachers began to exert their influences on me. Yes, I even didn’t know yet where my inclinations lay. I only knew, I wanted to become a journalist… .
Suddenly being a doctor or a lawyer? Yes, I was interested in law and medicine at that time. I really got very lucky becoming an editor of German law magazines during my last 18 years in Germany. But I never became a lawyer – or doctor! Now, I would ask myself – who cares?
Fear of failure: Perfectionism and a fear of failure reinforce feelings of self-doubt. In a state of self-doubt, you may attribute your past successes to luck, downplaying your true abilities. (A term for this experience is imposter syndrome, which is when successful people feel unworthy of their wins.).
“The way that people pick up careers is incredibly primitive,” said Nicholas Lore, founder of the Rockport Institute, a career coaching firm, and author of “The Pathfinder”. Strong tobacco, indeed. That’s why so many people are indeed dissatisfied with their jobs. I wanted to be a journalist, but mass communications wasn’t MY subject yet. Publishing house management – yes! Banker again? Once upon a time… .
Believe me, I always thought about a true calling for myself. Sure, people, whose careers aren’t the fight fit, often feel like impostors, as Professor Robert I. Sutton, an organizational psychologist at Stanford University in Palo Alto, said. Very, very well said, Sir.
Career doubts can be transformed into powerful motivators for growth. Learn how uncertainty can become your advantage.
The initial step towards handling career doubts is acknowledging them. Recognizing uncertainty as a natural part of career development can reduce stress and open avenues for growth. Analyzing the roots of these doubts helps in understanding underlying concerns.
Turning doubts into strengths involves a deep dive into self-assessment and introspection.
Embracing doubts can enhance resilience. Overcoming skepticism sharpens problem-solving skills and fosters adaptability. Each challenge faced and conquered adds to professional growth and self-awareness.
Cultivating resilience creates professionals who thrive under pressure and persist in the face of adversity.
Clear goals provide direction and focus during uncertain times. They channel energy into constructive endeavors and help measure progress objectively. Establishing both short-term and long-term goals acts as a roadmap to navigate career paths.
Revisiting and adjusting goals as conditions change ensures they remain relevant and achievable.
Career doubts present opportunities for learning. They prompt the pursuit of knowledge and skills that are integral to overcoming challenges. Engaging in continuous education and professional development is key.
Viewing doubts as catalysts for growth fosters an environment where learning is prioritized.
Meanwhile, I reached the age of 73. I am looking back. I still like to teach the new generation… .

No comments:
Post a Comment